Ryan has always been an active person and enjoyed playing sports. However, during his sophomore year of high school, Ryan was diagnosed with a condition called congenital spondylolisthesis with spina bifida. As a result of his diagnosis, he was told by doctors that he would need multiple back surgeries and would never be able to lift heavy weights again. While home from college on break in 2013, Ryan’s Dad introduced him to CrossFit. It wasn’t until 2015 though, when he moved back to Bloomington that he really got hooked. From then on, he spent most of his free time at Five Alarm working on perfecting technique, interacting with members, and soaking up as much information as he could about CrossFit. As a result of all this, his back is stronger than its ever been and he’s able to lift things he was previously told would be impossible. Ryan is passionate about helping others and can’t wait to help those in the Five Alarm community reach their health and fitness goals.
Education and Certifications
– B.S. in Parks and Recreation Management
– CrossFit Level 2 Trainer
– CPR/First Aid/AED Certified
Recreational Athletic Experience:
– GORUCK Light (4/16)
– GORUCK Tough (9/16)
– CrossFit Regionals Athlete Control (2017)
– Various local CrossFit Competitions
– WODAPALOOZA Intermediate Team Division (2019)
Favorite/Least Favorite Named WoD?
– Favorite: 12 Days of Christmas
– Least Favorite: Linda (the bench press gets me every time)
Favorite/Least Favorite Movement?
– Favorite: Handstand Walks
– Least Favorite: Assault Bike
Favorite Cheat Meal?
– Culver’s Mushroom and Swiss burger with fries and a Mountain Dew
Favorite hobby outside of CrossFit?
– Playing with dogs, anything outside, listening to podcasts, and playing video games
One thing about you most people don’t know?
– I’m really good at chess
If you could be a member of any TV-sitcom family, which would it be?
– Sam & Dean Winchester from Supernatural