|Get excited, Five Alarm! As of September 1, Five Alarm CrossFit becomes Five Alarm Fitness, NCFIT Partner! |
Over the last five years, we have poured our hearts and souls into Five Alarm and we did not make this decision lightly. Our rebrand is a culmination of countless discussions regarding our vision, core values, and how we can continue to rise the tides for both our team and our athletes.
You might be asking who is NCFIT and why would we choose to partner with them. NCFIT was founded by Jason Khalipa 10 years ago as a single gym in Northern California. Since then, they’ve grown into a global organization with over 20 locations worldwide. The NCFIT team has worked hard at developing this partnership and is committed to helping all of their partner gyms raise the bar through business support, coach development, marketing, branding, and more.
What does all of this mean for you? Well, in a broad sense, nothing has changed. We will continue to provide great programming (spoiler alert, we’ve been utilizing NCFIT programming for awhile now), top notch coaching, and the best gym family in the area. We are the exact same gym we have always been. Our character and our people are what defines Five Alarm. Branding does not. Over the next few months, you will see new logos, an updated website, changes to some of our backend material, and more. We know the transition will take time and we appreciate your patience as we work through it.
Please note, despite the name change we are still currently a CrossFit gym! The decision of whether or not to reaffiliate is a big one and something we are still considering. Our partnership with NCFIT does not impact this decision in any way. We will continue to update you as we come to a conclusion, but for now, Five Alarm Fitness is still an official CrossFit gym.
The one constant in life is change. Unfortunately, that word often comes with a negative connotation, sometimes warranted. In this case, it’s not. In this case, it’s welcomed with clear minds, opened arms, and a bigger, brighter, and better future. A future we will build together.
More information and details will come soon enough. For now, just keep showing up, being you, and get excited about being a part of an exciting future at Five Alarm Fitness, NCFIT Partner.
This Monday is Memorial Day! While we may not be able to meet in person this year, we are excited to still perform our annual “MURPH” workout that day. Please join us at 9am on Zoom (our entire team will be there) for a virtual “MURPH” event. EJ Garneau has also offered up his house to anyone who might like to come do “MURPH” with others. If you are interested, please let us or EJ know so he has an idea of how many to expect.
Our goal this year isn’t to PR our times but to honor the sacrifices made by others and our gym community. With that in mind, we want to help make this a great workout for all of you. In order to do that, we need your help! After reading this email, please send your designated Coach (or any Coach) the following information:
- Are you planning to do “MURPH” this year?
- If yes, what equipment do you have access to & where will you be performing it?
- Do you have any injuries that currently prevent you from doing any movements? If so, what are they?
Our Coaches will be emailing modifications to every single one of you who wants to participate based on the equipment you have and your current ability level. We will also be delivering sidewalk chalk to every member from Friday-Sunday of this week. You can use the chalk to keep track of your rounds and times but we’re also encouraging you to write encouraging notes to your fellow athletes or maybe draw something patriotic. Get creative, get your families involved and be sure to share your creations on social media (don’t forget to tag us @fivealarmcf).
In the meantime, please get those emails to your coaches! We’re looking forward to honoring LT. Michael Murphy this Monday at 9am. See you on the web!
Despite the uncertainty of this time, our Five Alarm family has pulled together, remained positive, and continued to support one another. We wanted to put together a shirt that embodied that mindset so we’ve teamed up with Forever Fierce to bring you this limited edition “Stronger Together” apparel line. Click HERE to place an order today and have your items shipped directly to your front door. You do NOT need to be a Five Alarm member to participate in this order. The store will remain open until 11:59 on April 20th so don’t wait.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An integral part of Stoic philosophy involves focusing on the things that are within your control, and letting go of the things that are not. Without diving too deep into that, I think our current circumstances are a perfect opportunity to put the concept into practice.
There are a whole slew of things happening right now that are beyond our control. Those things are forcing us all into new and uncomfortable situations. But while we can’t control everything that might be happening to us, we CAN control how we react to it.
This isn’t a burden. It’s an opportunity. And NOT an opportunity to just see how many shows you can binge watch on Netflix, but to snap out of some of those bad habits you don’t even consciously think about anymore. To get shit done. Don’t just think about WHAT you want to do, but WHO you want to be. Take some time to get your head right and your body healthy. Then, when the dust settles, you’ll emerge stronger. Accomplished. Better.
Here’s a good start…
- Perspective and gratitude. Our brains are actually wired to look for dangerous and negative things. Now is the perfect time to flip that on its head and flex some gratitude muscles. You have a home. A family. Access to healthy food.
I’m not leaving the house nearly as much. We might not get a family vacation. But I’ve roughhoused and read books with my kids every single day for two weeks (outside of days I’m at the firehouse). This OPPORTUNITY won’t last forever.
- Focus on what you can control. Figure out what you need to do, then do it. Or develop a plan to do it, then start executing the plan. Don’t waste time or energy on things outside your control.
- “Get to” vs. “Have to.” This fills in gaps along with gratitude and focusing on what you can control. It’s a simple mindset trick. We tell ourselves all the time, “I HAVE to do this…” and “I HAVE to do that…” But often we don’t.
I don’t HAVE to take the kids to school. I GET to take the kids to school. I don’t HAVE to go to work. I GET to go to work. I don’t HAVE to mow the yard. I GET to mow the yard. I don’t HAVE to workout. I GET to workout.
You get the idea. So simple, but such an extremely powerful difference.
- Physical Fitness. Even if you typically workout at a gym that’s been closed, your physical fitness needn’t suffer. You can still workout. You GET to. In fact, now is likely the perfect OPPORTUNITY to focus on some of those aspects you’ve always known you should focus on, but never do. Shoulder or Squat mobility? Push Ups?
At Five Alarm, we’re still running classes (online) and providing members with different workout options based on their equipment availability. But whatever you do, find something you enjoy. Be creative. Make fitness fun. Workout with family. Get online with friends. Challenge each other. Share your workouts. Just keep going!
- Nutrition. Home is the easiest place to CONTROL what you have access to for food. If you don’t have sugar-laden, empty calorie foods lying around then you can’t eat them. Whether you’re a great cook or microwave chef, take this OPPORTUNITY to learn to cook a new meal (or meals). Get family involved, and eat together.
- Sleep. A great day starts the night before. Take a little time at night to plan out the following day. Take 5 minutes to… write down 3 things you’re grateful for, your 3 biggest priorities to accomplish the next day, and to set yourself somewhat of a schedule (don’t forget to include your workout).
Set a bedtime routine that helps relax you and promotes quality sleep. Things like limiting screen time before bed, darkening the room as much as possible, etc. Then shoot for 7+ hours every night.
- Mental/Psychological/Spiritual Health. Stress levels are high. If you don’t already know, take some time to find out what helps you relax and reset. Get closer to family and friends (even if it’s from a distance). Practice gratitude, prayer, meditation, philosophy…
Read something you find fun or interesting¹. Start journaling (there are several great guided journals available)². Learn something new. You don’t have to, you GET to. Laugh. And once in a while, even watch Netflix³.
One last thing. As you move through this, cut yourself some slack. As always, we’re looking for progress, not perfection. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Remember, we don’t fail when we fall. We fail when we decide not to get back up. We can emerge from this better people than when we went in. And when that day comes, we’ll both be ready. And I’ll hope to see you in the gym soon. I’ll be there. Probably with Burpees.
¹ My top books over the last couple of years…
- Chop Wood, Carry Water by Joshua Medcalf
- Your Best Year Ever by Michael Hyatt
- The More of Less by Joshua Becker
- Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- The Obstacle is the Way, Ego is the Enemy, and Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Essentialism by Greg McKeown
- The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt’s Darkest Journey by Candice Millard
³ I hear Ozark is good.
Five Alarm Family,
Thank you for your continued understanding and vigilance as we have taken actions to protect the health and welfare of our community. As we expected, and have been preparing for, we have been required to close Five Alarm. Effective Sunday, March 22 the gym will be closed and will remain closed through the remainder of the month and into April. We plan to reopen the gym on April 8th (although the re-opening date is subject to change).
The good news is that if you’d like to stay invested in your health and fitness, we are still here to support you! During this interim period, we will continue to provide you with the tools you need to stay active and LIVE BETTER.
At-Home Workouts. No need to cross your fingers hoping your Coach will play your favorite song during class! Put that jam on repeat and get after it!
You will have access to 3 workout tracks, 2 of which are specifically designed to be performed at home.
- Total – The full version for those with access to more equipment or could attempt to modify.
- Build (Full Version) – The full version will be posted in a daily Notes section on Zen Planner.
- Build (At Home Version) – All you need is one or two dumbbells or kettlebells.
- Outside the Box – All you need is your body and a backpack.
In addition to programming the workouts, our Coaches will be leading online classes for each workout track so you can still get your fitness on with friends! We’ve got a good idea on exactly how this will work and look, but please bear with us as we learn. Stay tuned for Five Alarm communications for live workout links!
Tentatively, our Coaches will be leading online classes on the following schedule, seven days per week, Sunday through Saturday!…
- 9am – Outside the Box
- 1pm – Stretch/Mobility Session
- 5pm – Build (At Home Version)
The Win-Win Equipment Borrow Program. It’s a win for you because you get access to some awesome equipment without having to buy it. You can stay fit while you’re stuck at home – and you can help support Five Alarm. It’s a win for Five Alarm because we can help you stay fit and it allows us to stay in business.
The Equipment Borrow Program is already up and running. Tomorrow, Saturday, March 21 we’ll be open and running our regular morning classes; and in addition, we’ll be continuing letting members borrow equipment for use at home during this temporary move online. Just choose your equipment, fill out the paperwork, and you’re good to go!
Accountability, Challenges, Events, Etc. Movement is just one small piece of the equation as we all try to stay healthy during this time. Nutrition, mindset, and accountability will all play major roles in keeping your immune system strong for whatever the next few weeks may throw your way. All active members will receive weekly accountability check ins, as well as free access to any and all online challenges, events, etc. that Five Alarm runs during this time. And, boy, do we have some things in the works!
A Digital Community. Our doors may be closed but our community will stay strong! If you have not already, join our members only Facebook group. We will be posting tips, sharing progress, and answering all your fitness related questions in one place.
Thank you for your flexibility, understanding, and generosity as we endure this situation together. We will continue to do our best to update you on any new changes as the situation evolves.
The Five Alarm Team