If you received the Five Alarm email that went out at the end of the year, you saw a little blurb about a new class offering… BUILD! (If you didn’t get the email and would like to, please be sure your email address on file is correct, then check your Spam Folder to see if Five Alarm emails are being dumped there!)
So, what is BUILD and how is it different than our standard classes? Let’s start with our general description for BUILD…
“BUILD offers daily strength and skill training along with fun and effective MetCon-style workouts, incorporating daily strength-based movements with a workout to build a solid foundation. The movements and workouts in BUILD focus squarely on building a strong base and providing daily exposure to strength training.
In BUILD, you’ll learn to Squat, Press, Pull, and Clean through daily strength progressions. You’ll also gain exposure to common bodyweight, gymnastic, and monostructural movements. If you’re newer to this style of training, this program is a fantastic introduction to complexity, loading, and variance. If you are more advanced, BUILD helps develop mechanics, consistency, and intensity in foundational strength and moderately complex movements.”
Next, let’s cover some other basic BUILD info. BUILD…
- Does NOT cost anything extra.
- Is temporarily temporary. We’re testing out this second style of class offering for our members for the month of January, Monday – Friday at 5pm. If you try it and have any feedback for us, please let us know!
- Will run a very similar format to our standard classes, with a couple small exceptions… (1) there will be a Strength/Skill component every day, and (2) there is a goal to include a foam rolling/mobility/stretch portion at the end of every day and included within the hour.
Finally, let’s discuss some further considerations in regards to BUILD…
- In general, BUILD involves less complex movements than our standard classes. Things like Barbell Snatches, Muscle Ups, and Handstand Push Ups won’t be programmed. Note, THIS DOES NOT MAKE BUILD ANY EASIER! Just ask anyone who tries it…
That being said, anything and everything that is programmed can be modified based on individual goals and needs (just like our standard classes).
- BUILD is written as a completely separate program from our standard classes. Members are free to switch back and forth between BUILD and our standard classes on any given day; however, you must be conscious of the issues that can arise when mixing programs. Anything from overtraining specific muscle groups or movements to completely missing training other muscle groups or movements.
For example… if you attend a standard class on Monday and it involves Deadlifts, but then attend BUILD on Tuesday, the possibility exists that you could do several Deadlifts again. Similarly, by moving back and forth throughout a week, an individual might completely miss any Deadlifts (or Pull Ups, or whatever).
Is it doable? Yes. But you need to very smart when doing so.
- Along those same lines… can you do BOTH standard classes and BUILD on a given day or on an ongoing basis? Technically, yes. But that’s even less advisable and would almost certainly lead to overtraining. Remember, MORE IS NOT BETTER, BETTER IS BETTER.
In general, my advice would be that if you’re interested in BUILD, try it out for a full week if you’re able to. Then make a decision to either stick with it for a time or return to standard classes. In the end, the decision is yours, and we’re just extremely happy to be providing everyone with further options in their health and fitness journey!
I hope this answers any questions anyone might have in regards to BUILD. If you have any further questions or would like clarification on anything, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org! See you in the gym!